Monday, December 17, 2018

Field Foundation Data Maps - Great Resource. Who Else Using It?

I was pleased to find this map on my LinkedIN feed today, which is from the Field Foundation of Illinois web site.  Visit the site and open this PDF and you will find a series of data maps, showing areas of Chicago where extra investment is needed, based on a variety of indicators.

If you have looked at articles on this blog, or this section of the Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC blog, I've been using maps for more than 20 years to focus attention and resources to areas shown on the maps as needing extra help.

See map here
Among the maps in the Field Foundation pdf is one showing a lack of arts programs in high poverty areas.  What's not included is a map like mine at the right, showing the availability of non-school tutor and/or mentor programs in these areas.

I hope that I'll be able to connect with foundation leaders and that they will look at the many articles I've posted showing ways the maps can be used.  If they point to these, or write similar articles on their own web site, perhaps more leaders would be using the maps, and thus, more resources would be flowing into these areas.


One other resource I'd like to point to is this PDF that shows the number of high poverty youth, age 6-17, in each Chicago community area.  The map at the left shows the far North East part of Chicago, which includes Rogers Park, Uptown and West Rogers Park.  Based on the number of kids in these areas, investment in tutor/mentor programs is also needed here.

I've not been operating as a 501-c-3 non profit since 2011, so I'm not eligible for a Field Foundation grant, yet I have not found investors or a source of income to help me maintain and update my mapping platform.  A contribution to my FUND ME page would help.  A partnership with a foundation, university or business would help even more.

No comments: